The Communications Manager is a key position at the Bay Area Discovery Museum (BADM) with the responsibility of crafting communications to the museum’s different audiences of parents, educators and industry leaders to ensure understanding of BADM’s value proposition and educational impact.
The Communications Manager is responsible for executing the museum’s communications strategy and instituting a world class level of writing to deliver high impact content for various channels and audiences. This individual will be responsible for media and industry outreach and content distribution, and growing the awareness of BADM within the industry. This full-time, exempt position reports to the Senior Marketing Manager.
The Communications Manager will play an integral role at BADM during an exciting time. Last fiscal year, in large part due to the success of marketing and communications, the museum served the most visitors ever, over 340,000, with more than 20% receiving free/reduced admission. In addition, the museum launched a new mobile engineering lab, expanded access initiatives to underserved Bay Area communities, and released a research paper on school readiness. We are looking for a talented writer who is creative, detail and mission-oriented, enjoys working with people and is looking to make a difference working in a fast-moving, rapidly growing non-profit.
- Provide input in the development of the museum's communications and content strategy.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team to execute and track strategy to achieve institutional goals.
- Communicate brand to internal and external customers and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the museum’s various departments to ensure goals are met.
Content Creation, Project Management and Editorial Duties
- Create audience-tailored content including, but not limited to, website, print collateral, social media, blog, signage, newsletter, emails, presentations, and media talking points.
- Manage cross-departmental projects.
- Serve as editor of emails, newsletter, website content, publications, on-site signage, collateral, etc.
PR and Industry Presence
- Manager and execute press release strategy, oversee posting to website and wire, and distribution to media list.
- Monitor news, develop story angles, pitch targeted reporters and publications, facilitate interviews, prep spokespeople, track/share relevant articles.
- Monitor and report on media coverage.
- Develop relationships with industry influencers.
- Interact within the industry conversation on various social media channels.
- Consistently evaluate website and strategize improvements to ensure needs of the museum’s different audiences are met.
- Work with internal stakeholders to manage and make content updates on company websites.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, English or related field
- 2 - 5 years of agency or in-house communications experience, preferably in a related field (early childhood development, education, nonprofit, or museums)
- Excellent writing and editing skills with proven ability to tailor messaging to different audiences
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Experience with a range of social media and digital tools
- General comfort using technology and learning new platforms
- Proven track record executing successful communications campaigns, particularly in packaging and distribution of expert content and media relations
- Skills as both a tactical executor and creative, strategic thought partner
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team
- A sense of humor and appreciation for a fast-moving, agile organization
- Commitment to the mission of the Bay Area Discovery Museum
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. BADM provides 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance to all full-time employees, as well as generous paid time off starting at 4 weeks per year. In addition, we offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through BADM’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should apply online at:
Please be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter, which will be requested in two different steps of the application process.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.